Monday, April 21, 2014

My Recording Project


Hello there, it's been a while since last time I wrote a post in this blog. Anyway, I just want to share with you my recording project. Been busy learning how to record and mix a song with multiple instruments. I also learned how to use Hydrogen Drum Machine to make a drum track for my songs and I must say it's quite a powerful software and the best part is that it is free.

Enjoy these videos:



List of gears used to record:

1. Fender American Standard Stratocaster HSS with DiMarzio Air Zone on the bridge and DiMarzio Virtual Vintage Heavy Blues 2 on the neck.
2. Some pedals: Radial Tonebone Hot British, Xotic BB Preamp, Boss GE-7 Equalizer, Boss NS-2 Noise Suppressor.
3. Mesa Boogie Transatlantic TA-30 with Mini Recto 1x12 Cab, connected to Radial JDX Amp DI.
4. From the Radial JDX, it goes to the Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 USB Interface into my computer.
5. Ibanez BTB 775PB as my bass guitar.
6. Line 6 POD X3 Live for my bass guitar.
7. Yamaha PSR 710 keyboard direct to my Scarlett 2i2.
8. Hydrogen Drum Machine
9. Reaper x64 DAW as my DAW recording software.

Process

I recorded my drum track first on the Hydrogen, export individual tracks and import it to Reaper and then I EQ-ed the individual drum instruments and put compressor on some of them just to get the kick and snare to sound clicky and punchy.

Then I recorded my rhythm guitar tracks, I recorded the same track twice and then pan each one hard left and the other hard right. Then I proceed by recording bass track and then finish up by recording keyboard parts such as piano and strings. After I finished recording them all, I EQ-ed all of them to avoid the the tracks drowning each other.

I must say I learned a lot from recording and mixing songs. It really opened up my perspective about tone, it's not just about fantastic gear and everything, but really also about how you place your instrument in the mix to get it heard and get a good quality sound out of it.

I hope you guys enjoyed my recording videos! Cheers and God bless you!

No comments:

Post a Comment