Tuesday, October 14, 2014

The Current State of My Music Life

Hello all,

Just want to share a short blog post about my music life lately. To start, I am now heavily into recording and I don't do so much live guitar playing anymore. I also don't have easy access on guitar gear as I used to be so I don't buy new guitar stuffs as much as say last year or even the year before; I am much more laid back now and I don't have too much GAS going on in terms of guitar gear or music stuffs.

I also don't spend as much time playing guitar as I used to be, not because I don't have time, not because I love guitar less than before, but simply because I now spend more time creating small snippets of riffs or rhythms or melody ideas rather than just practicing on a song that I already know. I would then play those riffs after I'm done writing them but playing and practicing those riffs don't take as much time as regular practicing or playing over a record.

I now started to have some kind of instrumental songwriting sense. I shifted gear more toward music production rather than just focusing on guitar by itself. This doesn't mean that guitar is no longer important; in fact it's quite the opposite, I'm always trying to compose something that will make my guitar tracks sound more important on the whole context of mix and composition.

Looking back to my older gear posts, I now don't lust over Nitro vs Poly, Tube vs Solid State, DiMarzio vs Seymour Duncan, true bypass vs buffer, or the ultimate drive pedal. I simply don't think they are as important nor as significant as I thought they was. When you started recording and mixing stuffs, they just don't matter that much especially these days in the digital era. I can just insert an EQ plugin, some compressor going on and add some delay and reverb from free VSTs and all of a sudden I have a very nice sounding guitar track that I crave long time ago!

Heck, I can even just put a LePou amp simulator plugin with some Cab Impulse Response as opposed to real amp and cab, add some effect plugins from GuitarRig, and all of a sudden I have a very decent high gain tube amp sound! And the best part is, nobody knows that I'm not using both tube amp and real effects! How cool is that, eh?

Anyway, this is just my little reflection over what I've become now in my music life. I hope you enjoy this post, and I will post more!

Cheers and God bless you :)

No comments:

Post a Comment